Thursday 16 December 2010

Enterprise Festival

During the enterprise week, there were a number of different events that were held in the university. In this assignment I shall be discussing two of the events that I attended.
The first event that I attended was called “The Intrapreneur in Our Midst”. This event lasted for two hours and was held in one of the lecture rooms at the university. The whole event was about the key attributes one must have in order to become an “Intrapreneur”. The speaker explained the typical attributes an intrapeuner usually has. In my opinion the event was aimed at students who have ambitions to do become an intrapreneur in the near future.
The second event that I attend was called “Women in Business”. This event was held in the Plaza Hotel in Marlow. This event consists of five inspirational women speakers in business that shared their experiences and identified what they had to go through to get to the position they are at now.
From the event “The Intrapreneur in Our Midst” I learnt what type of character I have to become a successful intrapreneur. He also explained the type of personality of a typical an entrepreneur would have which was beneficial for the reason that I understood how some of the world’s famous entrepreneurs make some of their decisions which is usually made at random times. He made it clear that some entrepreneurs are selfish and sometimes only think about what is right for them. They tend not to think about the future but only the present.
The event “Women in Business” was very inspirational. Five different ladies from five different business backgrounds came in to talk to the students. Out of the five ladies, one of them in my opinion was the most interesting one for the reason that what they were saying I could relate to it. Her name was Jane Russell and their business was “One You”. They were image consultants who helped people look good for different occasions. They have spent most of their life in the beauty industry. Their presentation was called “Dressing for Success and Looking the Business”. In this presentation they showed us a few clips of what they exactly and who they have worked for in the past. I found this useful for the reason that they shared some tips that I am able to use for my every day life, for example what to and not wear when attending an interview. It was also useful for the reason that I could gather that it was successful business.
Out of the two events that I attended I personally believe that “Women in Business” was the most successful event. I believe this because they were women and I could really relate with what they were saying. All of the women were talking about the sex discrimination that they went through. It made me think that I will need to be determined and focused in what exactly I want to do in the future. It was also beneficial for me because I was able to take their contact details, so I am able to contact them with any questions that I may have.
I also thought it was successful for the reason that they were able to interact with the students and required their full attention with the things they were saying.
I personally think that if they were to do the whole Enterprise Week again. I will recommend that they change the timing of the events. The reason why I say this is because the first event that I attended was held in the evening at six o’clock. I personally believe that this was too late because many students had their own commitments they had to attend to but had to drop it just to go to the event. I also think that they should have spoken for less time for the reason that some of the students lost concentration over a certain amount of time.
The “Women in Business” event went well and I don’t personally believe they couldn’t have done anything to make the event more successful. They allowed us enough time to have a break when we were getting restless and also provided us with refreshments.


1 comment:

  1. A detailed blog with some interesting comments made, well done.

    ReplyDelete